Latest posts by David (see all)
- Exploring the World of Digital PR - 15/11/2018
- 6 Ways to Use LinkedIn for Personal Branding - 08/11/2018
- Cost-Effective and Carefully Targeted: How EDM Can Boost Your Marketing Efforts - 06/11/2018
Bangkok is Facebook’s most active global city with 30 million users registered in the Big Mango. That’s 1.5% of the entire global Facebook user base.
Who are Bangkok’s 30 Million Facebook Users?
For business owners looking to connect with Facebook’s lucrative user base, here are some key statistics to take note of:
- Male to female ratio – The population is split 51% men and 49% women.
- Biggest age group – 18-24 year olds claim the top spot at 9.7 million. 25-34 year olds are a close second at 8.5 million users, and 35-44 year olds are next at 4.6 million.
- Couples & families – 2 million people have declared their marital status as married and 380,000 people are classified as engaged. There are 2.3 million parents, of which 230,000 are the parents of teenagers.
- Foreign population – Men make up 61% of Bangkok’s 2.1 million foreigners, with 47,000 expats coming from the UK, 89,000 from the USA, 9,500 from Australia, 4,900 from Canada and 2,700 from South Africa.
Where are they?
While Bangkok’s user base is scattered around the city, there are few areas worth noting for their Facebook population densities.
- Bangkok’s CBD postcode ‘10500’ – contains 29,000 residents, however, this number rises to 610,000 during working hours.
- Klong Toei to Prakanong (the ‘10100’ postcode) – covers a large area and has 220,000 residents with 1.2 million during working hours.
- Bangkok’s satellites – these areas also have a significant number of users, with 580,000 people registered as living in Nonthaburi.
As for the most frequently visited places in the city, they all relate to shopping, entertainment or travel. According to Check In locations on Facebook, these are as follows (listed in order of popularity).
- Suvarnhabhumi Airport
- Siam Paragon
- Central Plaza Ladprao
- Don Mueang Airport
- Siam Square
- Future Park Rangsit
- Terminal 21
- Central Plaza Pinklao
- Platinum Fashion Mall
- MBK Centre
What are they doing?
As discussed in our previous post: Who are Thailand’s 46 million Facebook users?, people use Facebook for entertainment, information and education—celebrity gossip sits comfortably alongside political news articles and cooking videos. The platform’s enduring prominence can be explained by its breadth of content and fact it’s relatively uncensored, unlike traditional media in Thailand.
While brands can have a lot of success with Facebook marketing in Bangkok, traditional marketing methods will likely fail on social media. Instead, your marketing must blend in with the content users typically see in their newsfeed. With that said, if the majority of your content doesn’t educate, inform or entertain, your business is likely to be ignored.
If all this sounds like too much of a hassle, don’t be afraid to get help from an expert. Lexicon has achieved proven results with customers, and we’re sure we can do the same for you. Get in touch with us today at +66 223 588 68.
Data used in this article is derived from Digital in 2017 and our own research.
If you enjoyed this article please consider sharing it with your network by clicking one of the sharing icons below.
Share this Post